Thursday, October 9, 2008

Kath & Kim - "Pilot"


I think I need to preface this by saying that I haven't ever seen the Australian version of "Kath & Kim," so I can't compare it to the original. I also want to add that it's great to see Molly Shannon back and John Michael Higgins in a role that's not there for novelty.

All that aside, let's talk "Kath and Kim." NBC has been hyping this show very hard since the Olympics and I was optimistic despite the fact that it didn't look great. Turns out it wasn't. Directed by Paul Feig ("Freaks and Geeks," "Arrested Development"), the show looked like it was trying to take the same approach as "Arrested Development": a dysfunctional family interacting with both odd and normal people. Unfortunately, there were only the four main characters of the show featured in tonight's episode, and their stupidity fell flat without a straight man to point it out. Instead, they were just kind of annoying.

Kath and her beau Phil were not as annoying as Kim and her husband Craig, which I think falsely made them the interesting part of the show. I like both Molly Shannon and John Michael Higgins a lot, and they did what they could to save the sinking ship that was this episode. They were silly, but still sweet and believable. On the other hand, there was Selma Blair as Kim who did nothing but annoy me. She's like a blown up, worse version of Lindsay from "Arrested Development," but because she's so blown out of proportion, she isn't funny.

I'll give "Kath & Kim" three episodes to prove itself, but after one episode, I can't say I expect this show to stay on too long.

D

No comments: