Monday, September 22, 2008

How I Met Your Mother - "Do I Know You?"


How I Met Your Mother is back, and better than ever.

The season finale left us with two big plot points to mull over: Barney's new found love for Robin and Ted's proposal to Stella. Combined, they held the potential to completely change the dynamic of the show. What I wasn't sure of was whether it would be for better or for worse? Would having all the characters in committed relationships, especially the eternal bachelor Barney, take out all fun, "dating life" appeal of the show, or would it provide new and interesting plot lines for a show that seemed to be heading towards the inevitable sit-com predictability?

Well tonight we got our answer, and I could not have been happier. Not only has the writing gotten that much better (the first 5 minutes had me in a state of non-stop laughter), but the writers also made sure that the new plot lines were fresh, entertaining, and full of potential.

The new side of Barney is both highly entertaining and somehow, believable. We've seen the "Confident Player Turned Weak-Kneed By Love" before, but NPH's performance was flawless, making it feel like the first time I'd seen that gag.

We also got to see a new side of Stella. I'd enjoyed her in previous episodes, but always felt her character was a little flat. Oddly enough, the writers seemed to nod to this when Marshall commented "You hardly even know her." But the new Stella is starting off strong. She has personality, interacts with characters other than Ted, and even shows up outside of her office!

Although these character expansions are great, I would like to express my concern, however, that Marshall and Lily will end up taking the backseat from now on. I admit they aren't the show's central characters, but I've always had a fondness for the quirky-but-truly-in-love couple.

HIMYM made a triumphant return tonight, and based on the top-notch writing of tonight's episode, I can't wait to see what they do with the plot lines and characters now brimming with potential.

A

No comments: